As we’ve mentioned before, garage doors in modern homes tend to make up around 40 percent or more of the home’s exterior. As such, it’s important to ensure that garage doors operate the way they should. One of the most important parts of your garage door is your cable.
Functions of Garage Door Cables
For the garage door system to function properly, the garage door cable must work well. Garage door cables are arguably the most important component of your entire garage door system. Cables are attached to the springs of your garage door and the springs wind up to bring the door up. Garage door systems are interconnected and if one component malfunctions, the rest very likely will as well. If you find your garage door cable is malfunctioning, here is how you can fix it.
- First of all, release all tension from the cable and turn off the door opener system completely. Failing to do so will result in the spring snapping when removing and possibly cause injuries.
- Next, install C-clamps on the door so it stays open and doesn’t come crashing down while work is being done on it.
- Next, unhook the garage door spring and remove the malfunctioning cable.
- When the spring is unhooked and the cable is removed and disposed of, install the new cable, reconnect the spring back onto the cable.
- With the new cable in place, remove the C clamps and the power to the garage door system back on.
- Lastly, test to make sure that the door is installed properly by opening the door all the way.
Other Garage Door Components that Impact Safety
In addition to your garage door springs, other important components make up the garage door system and keep you safe when using it. These components include:
- Springs. Garage door springs that are broken can cause even more damage than broken cables. While cables might be able to be carefully replaced, broken cable replacement should be left to the professionals.
- Garage Door Track Alignment. Another important safety aspect of your garage door opener system is the door tracks. Tracks that are misaligned are dangerous, as they cause the door to bend or buckle, and can eventually lead to the door falling off of the track entirely.
- The Opener Itself. The garage door opener can easily be checked by placing a piece of wood or other object and see if the door closes on the log.
Trust The Garage Door Repair Experts
While it certainly is possible to fix your garage door cables at home, it is most likely best left to the professionals. Garage door opener systems are intricate and each component relies on each other to open the door safely and properly. If you require a garage door repair quote, don’t hesitate to contact the experienced experts here at Beach Cities Garage Doors and Gates. We offer a safe, socially-distanced service that is prompt, courteous, and professional. Call or fill out the handy form right here on our website and someone will contact you as soon as possible.